Know the entire process of activating ESPN on Roku. It is extremely important that you activate ESPN app before playing it on Roku because otherwise, you will not be able to play anything but short clips and match highlights.
ESPN is at the pinnacle of sports channels niche. Every sports lover knows how important it is to have a channel like “ESPN” in the fleet of sports channels. ESPN has already made its way to the top streaming devices, which include Roku as well. Now, people using Roku devices can add ESPN to their repertoire of channels. Subscribing to ESPN will get them a direct access to live ESPN events, ESPN shows and all the content that is available to ESPN+ subscribers. But, that is only possible if they activate ESPN app on Roku.
But, you need to first verify whether or not you qualify for ESPN.
There are three levels of services provided by ESPN app on Roku:
Live Streaming of eight US networks of ESPN, which includes ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN 3, ESPNU, ESPN Deportes, SEC Network, ESPNEWS and Longhorn Network. The availability of on-demand access to full episodes of popular ESPN shows is also provided to the users:
- If you’ve subscribed to an activate pay-TV provider, then you can access live streams of all the networks that come under ESPN along with on-demand access to full episodes of popular ESPN shows. If you are not sure whether your provider allows access to ESPN and the networks that come under it, then install ESPN app on your Roku Setup device and link it to your device.
- If you are a subscriber of ESPN+ service, then you are free to watch live sports, original content and many on-demand programs.
What if you have subscribed to a pay TV service, but the provider’s name is not listed?
If dealing with this issue, then you can’t activate ESPN for live streaming by the time your TV service provider isn’t listed. No standalone subscriptions are available to ESPN on Roku or any other streaming device. But, you can watch Live programming coming on ESPN network through ESPN+.
What is the process of installing ESPN on Roku media streaming player?
You can use your PC or smartphone to install ESPN on Roku. If using Roku player to install ESPN, then you can find the app in ‘sports category’ after you choose ‘streaming channels’ from Roku’s home screen. Just look for ‘ESPN’ from Roku’s home screen and once you see it, select the channel followed by pressing ‘OK’.
You can also take help of your web browser to install ESPN, and for that, you will have to go to channelstore.roku.com/details/34376/espn followed by clicking ‘Add Channel’ button. You will be prompted to log into your Activate Roku account if you haven’t done it already.
Activating ESPN and ESPN+
Right after you add ESPN Roku Activation, you can start watching your favorite content. But, it won’t be possible for you to watch Live TV or any major videos apart from some short clips and match highlights. In order to watch all those things, you will have to activate ESPN on Roku, for which, you will have to follow below-mentioned steps:
- Open “ESPN” app on Roku.
- You will see a menu bar at the top of the screen from which you will have to click ‘gear’ icon for settings.
- If you are already a subscriber to a pay TV service, then select that provider’s account and then, clicking the option named ‘activate Live TV’. Now, you will see an activation code, which you will have to enter at ‘es.pn/Roku’ link. Enter the code immediately after receiving it, as it doesn’t remain valid for hours.
- Now, you are on ‘choose provider’ screen, where you will have to select your satellite or cable streaming TV service option.
- Enter the credentials of your TV service provider in order to sign in.
- If you have subscribed to ESPN+ account, then select ‘ESPN account’ and then, log into your account.
- Now, go to ‘es.pn/Roku’ link on your computer or smartphone.
- Type in the code and click ‘continue’.
- Log into your ESPN account followed by subscribing at espn.com/watch or in-channel by selecting videos that have ‘E+’ icon.